Saturday, December 13, 2008

Day +42 : Total White Blood Count (WBC)

I am fine today, just back from 45 minutes morning walk. Yesterday, Teck Ann was my driver, I need him to drop me at SJMC, and Ah Siew will pick me up later .

Blood Counts Results :
12 Dec 2008 versus 9 Dec 2008
Red Blood Count (RBC) = 11.9[12.7](Normal 13.0-18.0)
Platelet = 111[113](Normal 150-400)
Total WBC (TWBC) = 2.9[3.5](Normal 4 - 11)

Calculated ANC = 2.2 (Normal 1.5 - 8.0)
Neutrophils = 77% ( Normal 40 -74 )
Magnesium = 0.51[0.44](Normal 0.74 - 0.99).
ALT : 162 [147]( Normal 30-65)

The white blood count drop further from 3.5 to 2.9, doctor commented this may due to some of drug I consumed. The magnesium level increase a little bit, but still below the normal range. I think the calcium magnesium tablets from AMWAY Nurtrile work well, and it is relatively economic with RM40+ for 180 tablets. While waiting for the bloods count results, I have a plate of fried key koay teow at cafeteria ( This is the only chance I can have outside food), The nurse have ring me asking where am I , she have to give me magnesium infusion. I reached home at 7:00pm

Doctor said even my WBC dropped, but still manageable. He have change my blood count to once a week. My next blood count will be 19 Dec 08.My Absolute Neutrophil Count (ANC) is 2.2, which is within the normal range1.5 to 8.0 . ANC is the actual number of neutrophil in the white blood cells. Neutrophil is one components of the white blood cells that helps to kill and digest microorganism. The other components are macrophage, basophil and eosinophil. We wouldn't know if a person is proned to infection just by looking at the white blood count alone. We have to calculate the ANC of a person to determine the risk of infection.ANC is calculated by multiplying the white blood count with the percentage of neutrophils in the white blood cells. Based on the blood report, my neutrophil percentage is 77%, therefore my ANC is equal to 2.9x77% = 2.2 . The risk of infection based on ANC is as follow:

Neutropenia = ANC < 2.0 (slight risk of infection)
Mild Neutropenia = 1.0 < ANC < 1.5 (minimal risk of infection)
Moderate Neutropenia = 0.5 < ANC < 1.0 (moderate risk of infection)
Severe Neutropenia = ANC < 0.5 (high risk of infection)

1 comment:

hackedagain said...

Hope the situation will improved further.