Monday, December 29, 2008

Day +58 : BMT donor

I am well today, continue my story....

My Mum and Ah Siew wished that I did not have to do bone marrow transplant, as the risk mortality is high . They hoped if I repeat the cytogenetic analysis, the result would be more favorable. I brought them to to see Dr Alan in SJMC in order to get his opinion about my future treatment. The hematologist said that my case was very straight forward; the treatment had to clean the residual disease with cycles of chemotherapy , then follow by bone marrow transplant. From there onward, I was determined to go for bone marrow transplant even though I knew "it is a high risk business." But the return is, I have 75% chance getting cured, and 25% relapse. Without the transplant, I am subjected to 100% dead.

I started to arrange my brother and sister to have the matching test, the chance of getting a fully matched donor is 25% for each sibling. I have 5 brothers and sisters, naturally , I stand a good chance to get a HLA comptible. The results show my eldest and youngest sister fully matched and can be my donor for the BMT.

1 comment:

hackedagain said...

Dearest Kian Chai,

Keep up the fighting spirit!
Have a better new year in year 2009.